Wednesday, May 6, 2009

...when "charity" becomes "stealing".

subtitle: what is the job of a hedge fund manager?

This comes from Cliff Asness, a hedge fund manager, who does not appreciate pressure from the White House to tolerate breaking of financial contracts. He writes an open letter to the President:
Let’s be clear, it is the job and obligation of all investment managers, including hedge fund managers, to get their clients the most return they can. They are allowed to be charitable with their own money, and many are spectacularly so, but if they give away their clients’ money to share in the “sacrifice”, they are stealing. ... If you hired an investment professional and he could preserve more of your money in a financial disaster, but instead he decided to spend it on the UAW so you could “share in the sacrifice”, you would not be happy."
If you disagree with this hedge fund manager's view, ask yourself this: "If I got a letter from Guidestone or TIAA-CREF, informing me that my 403b lost 73% because the company decided to support a union or another group, would I be happy about this type of charity? Would I not call it stealing?" 

While it is part of the essence of Christianity to be charitable, there is nothing Christian about using other people's money for charity.

1 comment:

  1. Could you go into more details as to what is happening with this issue? I've tried to read a bit, but I confess I don't entirely follow it all.

    ReplyDelete