Friday, April 17, 2009

Circles of economists and circles of men arguing in an Italian square

I found this an interesting critique of economists...

"Klamer  compares  the conversation of economists with that of a group of  Italian men arguing vehemently in small closed clusters on a square: 
I wanted  to  join  in, argue politics, offer my opinion on  the Bologna soccer team. But, even apart from my bad  Italian,  I knew  I couldn’t. Each  group  had  a  history  I  was  not  privy  to,  referenced  past conversations, called upon anecdotes  that would have been  lost on me. Even if I had managed to worm my way into one of the groups, I would have been  immediately found out. I can’t talk with my hands […] No matter what, I was not part of any conversations taking place in  the  square.  I  had  a  similar  feelin when  I  went  to  my  first economics conference (Klamer 2007, 16)."

This is from the Erasmus Journal for Philosophy and Economics book review of Arjo Klamer’s Speaking of economics: how to get into the conversation. Link to book review. Link to book.

1 comment:

  1. This is true of most specialized fields. The whole idea of the biblical shibboleth comes to mind here. We all tend to speak the language of the tribe with passion and a tendency to forget that others can't follow it or sense why we're so excited or possessive. You should see the theory heads in the Modern Language Association (MLA) get going! Oi Vey!

    ReplyDelete