Friday, June 19, 2009

The Online Experience

This post comes from Rebecca Newton. She is a student in my online American Government course.

__________________________________________________________________

In the ever evolving world of technology, it is evident that what once was, is no more. Life affords us what some would consider luxuries. The convenience to attend school online was not available a few years ago.

However, are we really better off? Maybe not. Face-to-face instruction has been replaced with virtual learning. But, I have to question whether we are garnering the same quality education that we would if we were in a traditional classroom. Most students look for that nurturing and "at a boy" encouragement that instructors provide. Also, instant feedback and constructive criticism is gone. Not to mention, research. The encyclopedia is obsolete. Now, we have the Internet. Although the Internet is faster and more up-to-date, it is not always credible. So, stepping out of the classroom has it's advantages and disadvantages.

I still remember my favorite teacher from high school that pushed me to do my best and helped me to recognize my true potential. That was sixteen years ago. She took extra time with her students, and that is what students need; no matter what age or environment.

So, with online, higher learning, do we sacrifice what is readily available at smaller community colleges or technical schools? I think so. It is not bad. But, we as students, have to encourage ourselves and use outside influences like family to push us to our full potential.

We have become complacent with the way things have evolved.

No comments:

Post a Comment