Thursday, June 11, 2009

On the spot guidance

What do you call it when someone in the government tells others how to do their jobs better or how to do them more properly?

In North Korea, they call it "on the spot guidance".

It is when an all powerful-ruler drops by to give soldiers, scientists, farmers even artists advice on how to do their jobs properly.

This funny article describes an episode involving Prime Minister Putin (who did you think I was talking about? Someone here in the US?) and a famous Russian artist. Looking at the artist paining, Putin tells the artist that he painted the sword too short. Artist immediately agrees to lengthen the sword in the painting.

Now, why do the headlines about Obama administration trying to set workers' pay in the US immediately come to my mind?

Perhaps one of these enlightened ones will drop by my office one of these days to tell me how I should do my job better...

2 comments:

  1. Your blogs have been too brief and short lately. We're sending some guys in suits and sunglasses to talk to you later about this. Don't make us rough you up. :-D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hehe, the reason for this is both my new son and my new responsibilities at the university. Somehow it's been hard to find time last few weeks.

    ReplyDelete